Saturday, August 09, 2008


This is the bridal portrait of Jennifer Mitchell I produced last Saturday at Tuckahoe Plantation. Her wedding was this afternoon, so now I feel free to display it.
 
I love this image of Jennifer. I have watched her grow up over the past 13 years. The smile in this picture reveals her personality .

Sadie competing with the Olympics for Dianne's attention at Copperas Creek this evening.

Sadie is never easily deterred.

Friday evening at the Daily Grind in Short Pump, singer/guitarist Donald Coles packed the house. The audience spilled out of the coffee shop/cafe onto the sidewalk and into benches as far as two shops away.

Donald and an impromptu "do-wap" chorus during his cover of a Supremes standard.

Two-year-old Ernie DeCola enjoying the Donald Cole concert. Ernie's father George and Donald often perform together.

Panoramic of a portion of Hampton Roads on Friday morning. The cities of Newport News, Hampton and Norfolk are located on this body of water. It is considered the largest, natural harbor in the world. It was named by English settlers in 1607 for the Duke of Southampton, an investors in the Virginia Company, as they passed through here on their way to found the first successful English colony in North America at Jamestown. So much has happened here in the ensuing years. In 1862, during the American Civil War, it was the site of the battle between the ironclads Monitor and Merrimac. The battle, while a draw, ushered in the era of modern naval warfare. Fifty years later, Naval aviation began when a Curtis biplane flew off a ship here. Two modern aircraft carriers are barely visible on the horizon. It is homeport for the U.S. Atlantic fleet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bill, the bridal portrait is great! I love it!

I shot a wedding ceremony on Friday on that same windy rooftop and it went terrible! There were only 8 people, they were going to stand in the shade with the sunny skyline behind. I was going to light it with my alien bee and it would be beautiful. Literally 1 min before the ceremony my battery gives out in my radio trigger. I tried to change it with the short screwdriver I brought (I was prepared with extra batteries), but the neck was too big to get in the hole. Argh. So I shot the background overexposed while Michael (my trusty assistant) whittled away the plastic during the ceremony enough to change the battery for the couple portrait. Sigh.

At least the portrait looked like I wanted it to. :(

I'm sure I'll post a blog about it sometime after I deliver the photos to the guy.

Wahokia said...

Thanks, Cat. I keep remembering the light that was there moments before the bride arrived with the black cloud in tow.

Sounds like a nightmare. Glad you pulled it off. And thanks again for commenting.